Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Vegetable Enchiladas

I decided that since I have over 500 pins on Pinterest that I need to start baking, cooking, and crafting some of the things I have pinned. So, tonight I made Vegetable Enchiladas from my Delicious Food pinboard. The recipe and the beautiful photo come from a food blog called The Novice Chef. All of the recipes on this blog look delicious - check out all of them out, here

Photograph from The Novice Chef

These enchiladas were seriously so delicious. I can't wait to make them again. They had just the right amount of spice, filling, and cheese. Plus, they had a lot of cilantro which I LOVE. I can honestly say they were the best enchiladas I have ever had.

I made just a few adjustments to the ingredients to make them a little less spicy (since I am the only one in my family that likes spicy food) and reduce the calories. I will share the recipe with my changes. I also cut the recipe in half and will post those measurements.

Vegetable Enchiladas 

4 tsp olive oil 
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp ground coriander
2 T all purpose flour
2 T tomato paste
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 oz fresh baby spinach
1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 can corn kernels, drained
1 cup reduced-fat four cheese blend (or Mexican blend)
1/2 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped 
8 corn tortillas, 6-inch (I used La Tortilla Factory's handmade corn tortillas that are half flour/half corn - they are fabulous)

The Sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp of the cumin, garlic powder, white pepper, coriander, flour, and tomato paste. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes. Set aside. 

The Filling: In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until it becomes transparent. Add spinach and saute until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in the black beans, corn kernels, cilantro, 1/2 tsp of cumin, 1/2 cup four-cheese blend, and 1/4 cup of the pepper Jack cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray 7x11 baking dish. Pour 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom of the baking dish and spread evenly. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the enchilada filling into each tortilla and roll up. Place in the baking dish, seam side down. Pack the filled tortillas tightly in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas to cover. Sprinkle remaining cheeses over the enchiladas. Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve. 

Serves 4 (2 enchiladas per serving)

Slightly adapted from The Novice Chef. Originally from Martha Stewart.

No comments: