Sunday, November 13, 2011

Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches

I absolutely love my slow cooker. We cook everything in it from soups and stews, roasts, ribs, chicken, and desserts to name a few. Over the years I have collected some really great slow cooker recipes that are easy to make, delicious, and healthy. One of my family's favorite recipes is for slow cooker French Dip sandwiches. They are very flavorful, super easy to make, and also fairly healthy (don't tell my husband). Everyone I have shared this recipe with has loved it too. 


Easy and Delicious Slow Cooker French Dips
2-3 lb. Rump Roast
1 can Beef Consomme'
1 can Beef Broth
1 can French Onion Soup
Buns
Sliced Cheese (optional)


The great thing about this recipe is the roast can go straight from the freezer to the slow cooker (no thawing required - love that). The three cans of soup will be your Au Jus - pour the cans of Beef Consomme and Beef Broth over the roast, then pour the French Onion Soup over (I like to pour this can last so that all the onions from the soup are on top of the roast to give it even more flavor). I usually like to have the fat on the roast on the top as well since so much flavor comes from that - but this roast wouldn't stand up because it was frozen.

 Slow cook on low for 7-8 hours until the roast is cooked through.


When the roast is done, remove the fat and slice. I like to take the Au Jus and put it in a fat separator (above). It has a strainer on top to catch all of the onions and the fat floats to the top and you pour the mixture from the bottom. Pour the Au Jus into small bowls. Next, just put meat on the buns and that's it. I like the Brat Buns from the Wal-Mart Bakery. They are perfect for French Dips and they are a good size.


My husband likes cheddar or provolone cheese on his, so I put the meat on the bread and then put the cheese on top and stick it under the broiler open-faced for a minute or two until the cheese is melted and the bread is slightly toasted. Enjoy!